Thursday, June 19, 2014

Did I really register for an Ironman?!?

Today I had a brick work out.  No big deal, right?  It involved a 26 mile bike ride out to the Island where I made myself to the Buffalo Point hill climb 3 times.  It isn't long, but it is steep.  And beautiful.  I swear, I am so lucky to live where I do and have such beautiful training right out my front door!  Anyhow, the ride went great.  I was able to stay in the right heart rate zones, and I even didn't hate the dang wind on the causeway. Let's be honest, when is it NOT windy on the causeway?

I got back and quickly changed into running mode for a quick 2 mile run following the bike.  It was awful.  I had a really good run last night, so I didn't think it would be so hard.  My HR was through the roof, even though I was running pathetically slow.  Even for me it was slow!  My legs were lead and I focused on breathing and just wasn't able to get my HR out of Zone 3.5-4.  Seriously?  I am still trying to figure all this HR stuff out, but I couldn't bring it down for anything!

As I was on this run that felt much longer than 2 miles, it dawned on me that IMTX is less than 11 months away.  I know that is still a long way away, but it will be here before I know it and the only thing I could think of was..."WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?!?!  This mini brick is killing you and you want to swim how far?  Then ride OVER 100 miles?  Then cool off with a marathon?!?  ARE YOU INSANE?"

Yep, that's where I was at today.  I know that with my training and being consistent I will be ready for it, but that was my state of mind today.  Tomorrow I will probably think the same things as I have my BUR (Big Ugly Ride) for the week.

So, in the meantime, here are some pretty pics from today's ride.  And, Happy training and racing all!



No comments:

Post a Comment