Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Funny Running Moment

When my alarm went off at 4:40 this morning for me to head out on my run, I didn't want to.  I hadn't slept well, and had just fallen back to sleep when the dang thing went off.  I decided to suck it up and go anyway. I fumbled with getting dressed in the dark, slipped out to the front room to put on my shoes, coat, both pairs of gloves, reflective vest, headlamp, etc.  I then looked out at the front porch and realized we had yet ANOTHER few inches of fresh powder on the ground.  It didn't appear to be coming down very hard anymore, so I figured since I was already dressed, I might as well try and go.  I reminded myself that some of my most memorable runs have been in the fresh snow.  I went out and it wasn't bad!  The roads weren't bad (I mean they were, but snowy and not icy, if that makes sense).  I concentrated on finding my rhythm and was enjoying how pretty it was, and quiet, and how I was so glad that I was able to experience this moment of serenity outside.  I was then happy I decided to brave it.

About 15 minutes into the run, I notice this man out shoveling his driveway.  He stops, looks at me, and yells, "You are F^*#ing crazy!"  I couldn't help agree, but I was having a great run nonetheless.  

Have you ever stopped and looked at how your life looks to an outsider?  The things we do as athletes that are normal to us, like getting up well before the crack of dawn, running in single digit temps, while snowing, in the dark?  I mean REALLY?!?  I am grateful for these choices I have made in my life, but I can totally see how this guy would think I am nuts.  Somedays I wonder, but I wouldn't change it for anything.  While I am out there and have the road and quiet world to myself I have often had a heart full of thanks that I am able to experience what everyone else missed because they are still in bed.  It is often on these early morning moments that I have that "all is right with the world" moments that prepare me for the day that lies ahead.

In the meantime,  Happy Training All!

No comments:

Post a Comment