Saturday, December 17, 2011

Excuses? We all got em!

Well, my work outs for the last two weeks have been pathetic.  But then again, I had a good reason. I was sick with strep throat.  I FINALLY started feeling better on Thursday of this week.  Then yesterday, a friend facebooked me and asked if I wanted to join her on a 10 mile run this morning.  I said yes immediately.  I got off the phone, and was like "What am I thinking?  I haven't run in 2.5 weeks, I haven't worked out PERIOD in 2, this will kick my butt!"  I figured even if it did, I was going.  What better to put me back in the routine, right?

Then I was really tired last night.  I wasn't feeling it.  I realized the morning temperature was going to be around 18.  I was going to have to go really early, while still dark.  Yada, yada, yada.  I was glad I knew a friend was waiting for me, so I got out of bed at 5:20 on a Saturday to go meet her.  We had a great time!  I was so glad I went, it wasn't bad at all, and the miles FLEW by!

My gloves turned out to be not quite warm enough and my fingers did lose all feeling the last hour.  I had frost forming on my eyelashes.  I got a side stitch towards the end.  BUT  I also felt really good that we got it done!  I was on with my day feeling good about myself, proud of what we had done, and the important thing was  I SHOWED UP!

I have heard that more than half of the battle with running, working out, training, etc, is just SHOWING UP.  I was so glad I did that today. I felt good that after a dismal two weeks I could still crank out 10 miles like it was nothing.  That is something to be proud of, dangit!  Another quote that I love it by Bob Harper and he says, "True motivation comes when excuses cease to exist".  So true. 

Happy training!  Just do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment