Monday, August 6, 2012

Heart's not in it

I will be the first to admit that I registered for the St. George Marathon only half way wanting to get in, I honestly didn't think that I would as competitive as the lotto has become.  I have done three marathons, and they haven't all been great experiences.  I love the finish line feeling,  and racing, just don't always love the volume you take on in training for 26.2.  I have gotten through it and have done three marathons in the past 2.5 years, and am training for what will be my fourth.

Lately though, I am just not feeling it.  I have had a terrible time staying motivated to do the long runs.  Part of me still likes the challenge, but when it comes to getting my butt out of bed to actually do them, it is a totally different story.  I am still enjoying the swimming and the biking and even the running if it is shorter distances, but the thought of getting up and running for three hours lately, just doesn't sound like fun, on any level!  I keep thinking, "Who the heck does this?!?"  I muddled my way through a twelve mile run, and it wasn't terrible, but the thought of the runs just getting longer each week til I peak at 18-20, sounds awful!

So, I am left trying to decide what to do.  If I don't do it, my season ends in three weeks with a mud run Labor Day Weekend.  I also have Pedalfest, and the Bear Lake Brawl Oly distance tri between now and then.  I will be done with my season before school starts or I go back to class.  It works out quite lovely that way, IF I were to quit.


But then again, DID I JUST SAY QUIT?!?  I am not a quitter!  Or am I being realistic about what I do and don't want to do?  I am so torn on this! I know that I will beat myself up if I don't do it.  I also know I will be extremely relieved if I don't.  I also know if I do it, I won't regret it, once it is finished.  But then again, this is a recreational hobby right?  If I am not enjoying it, why do it?  UUUUGGGGGHHHH!  What to do?

I have already tentatively planned next racing season.  It includes potentially two HALF marathons, and the rest are all sprint and olympic distance tri's.  The half marathons would be in April/May, then the rest of the season my "long" runs would only have to be 6-7 miles.  Are you freaking kidding me?  That sounds like absolute heaven right now!  My "long" rides would only be 20-25!  GLORIOUS!

So, I am left with the decision of what to do with the rest of this season.  I honestly don't know what I will do.  I am supposed to do 14 miles this week, if I am sticking to the plan.  Thoughts?  I am taking any ones perspective on this!

In the meantime...Happy Training all!

No comments:

Post a Comment