Saturday, March 10, 2012

Random training ramblings....

As I am currently working on my teaching certificate in Special Education, I am learning all about behaviors and behavior modification.  It is all pretty simple, really.  The premise is that all behavior is a form of communication, usually to get something or get out of something.  And to change a behavior or increase a good one a good reinforcer needs to be in place.  I have been thinking about this a lot lately as I look at the behaviors of those around me, my kids, my students, and myself!

You see, I am having a problem with sticking to work outs lately.  I am SOOO lacking motivation. The darkness and cold of winter is killing me.  I don't know why, I always feel wonderful after I do them.  I never regret working out.  I love the races that I train for and want to improve, but usually lately I have succumbed to excuses like " it is too dark out" or "I don't feel good", or "I am too tired".  That may all very well be the case, but I need to GET OVER IT!

So, I am trying to come up with a good reward system for sticking to my work outs.  I have mapped out all of my training and work outs through my first race of the season, the Salt Lake City Half Marathon.  It is 6 weeks away.  I want to reward myself with something major if I stick to all of them between now and then.  Seeing as how this is an average of at least 7 work outs a week, it needs to be something BIG, but I don't know what?  I am thinking a pair of shoes?  New running/cycling gear? Hmmmmmmmm

In other news, I did have my longest bike ride to date yet.  I did 27 miles.  It was humbling.  I really need to get a new seat, because my butt was so sore when I got home.  I am sure that is TMI, but it's the truth.  It dawned on me that is the bike portion of the Olympic distance triathlon I am doing in August.  The thought of doing that ride followed by a 10K and preceded by a 1500m swim is very humbling at the moment.  I am so glad I have the summer to train well for it!

The St George Marathon registration lottery opens April 2.  I am currently debating whether or not I want to do it.  Well, the thing is, I don't want to do 26.2 this year, but I do want to do the St George Marathon, if that makes any sense.   The thought of marathon training is daunting right now, but to this day, my favorite race ever is St George, so it would be worth the effort.  So, I guess I have three weeks to mull it over.  It would be a great way to end the season though!  I will keep y'all posted on what I decide to do.  But one thing is for sure, if I don't get in, there won't be any other marathons on the calender this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment