Monday, February 20, 2012

I'm in Love!

I went on my first bike ride today.  It was so much fun!  I thought that the ride wouldn't extend beyond the local church parking lot practicing clipping in and out, but I did that for about 15 minutes and it was a piece of cake!  I tried stopping, unclipping, then pushing off and getting going again, so I figure I needed to do a real  ride.  I headed out of my nieghborhood and took off to the trails that I normally hit for my runs.  I  had a few stop signs to do some more clipping and unclipping at, all without incident.  I must say, I am so glad that there weren't any face plants involved!

I then ended the trail portion and then headed down some paved but very deserted streets just south of where I live and played around the with breaks, and saw how fast I could get it.  At the fastest, I hit 22 miles an hour.  That was so fun!  I can't believe how easy it is to get the bike that fast!  It is such an easy and responsive bike!  I loved it!  I averaged 17-18 mph for the whole ride, and ended up doing 12 miles in just 42 minutes.  I couldn't get over how effortless it felt, and neat to cover that much area in so little time!  I am so going to love this thing!  I am hoping that the weather cooperates next week for a few more rides as I don't have class next week.  My dad, who is an avid cyclist is coming out in May and wants to tackle Antelope Island on the bikes.  I have to work up to it and can't wait!

I think what I have loved about this whole tri training thing is the variety in the work outs!  It isn't just me hitting the pavement to pound out the miles as I have done with the marathon training in the past.  Every day it is something different and it is so much easier to stay motivated with the variety.  I start every day with some kind of Jillian video, then the evening is either bike, swim or run.  I love the variety in the work outs, and can't say that I have a favorite.  I have also loved how my fitness base from running has crossed over into the bike and swim.  Cross training has HUGE benefits I never imagined!

Happy training!

No comments:

Post a Comment