Tuesday, May 26, 2015

One week and some change past IMTX

I have had over a week to process and think about my race.  Here are some random thoughts I have had:

1)  When they say that IM recovery is a matter of weeks, not days, they mean it.  My poor body, though it feels better every day, still has some residual fatigue, and my poor feet are still healing from awful blisters.

2)  Trying to exercise for the first time yesterday was comical.  I tried a nice easy swim and though it felt good, my poor body was saying NOPE as it felt like lead for most of the swim.  It was pathetically slow too!

3)  This weekend's sprint tri is going to be even more comical than yesterday's attempt at a swim.

4)  I have changed my mind about never doing one again.  I know I will, but it won't be for awhile.  With my kids and their ages, the fact that I am coaching the swim team next year, and other life circumstances, I can't commit to another one for at least a few more years.  And I am okay with that!

5)  I didn't realize the commitment that it was until it was past.  All of a sudden my schedule is wide open with lack of training 15-18 hours a week.  I am not thinking about it constantly.  I have also noticed a few times I have even been BORED!    Ironman is pretty all consuming while getting ready for it.

6)  My injuries/battle wounds from IMTX included awful funky sunburn in weird patterns due to the unevenness of the volunteers putting it on, at least 8 blisters big enough to constitute their own zip code, friction burn from my timing chip, chaffing in weird places, hyper extension of my knee on the bike that a week and half later is still sore, nerve damage in my shoulder/neck from being on my bike for 7+ hours (this is nothing new, just the same old issue with the arthritis, but it has SUCKED the past week), and still crying at the drop of a hat when I think about the finish line :)

7)  I won't do another IM until I can upgrade my bike to a TT bike.  I love Belle, but if I am going to do another IM, I think it would be best done on a TT.  I will also not do another one with out hiring a coach.  I feel that I have come as far as I can on my own, and I liked my training plan, but don't know that it was enough.  Part of me thinks it was, but I am not so sure.  I would really want the personalized guidance and feedback of a coach. Plus, it would be nice to take a lot of the guesswork out of it for me.  So, given all of those things, it will be awhile till I do another one :)

8)  I can honestly say this was the best and worst thing I ever did.  I loved the journey, I loved the people I met, and I am proud of my accomplishment, but DANG it was hard!


1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate to all these points. It took me awhile to physically get over IM and even longer to get right mentally about training again. I am sure one day I will go back to IM, but right now, I am finding that a sprint tri plan is sooooo much easier than a 140.6!

    ReplyDelete