Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Change in Race Plans - HELLLOOOOO Milwaukee!

Click here for more information

This morning I woke up to the following email:

"Congratulations Kathryn LIMB. You have qualified for the Olympic-Distance race at the 2014 USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships on August 9 in Milwaukee, Wis., after finishing in the top 10 percent in your age group at the The Ice Breaker."

Say what?!?  I have heard tons about Age Group Nationals, but I never figured that I would be someone that got the chance to go!  I mean, that is for real athletes, right?  But hey, if they are willing to invite me, I should try to go!

I also immediately thought that this wouldn't be doable since we are already going to Red River, New Mexico this year, and then Colorado for the Triple Bypass, not to mention the expense of upcoming IMTX.  Then, after talking to the wonderful Iron Sherpa, we concluded that it might be doable if we forgo the Red River trip.  It is also awesome that it occurs before school starts, so no need to miss work!

As soon as I get the follow up email with the registration link, it is HELLLOOO Milwaukee!  I have never been there before and what a fun race!  Plus, my BT friend, Kim is going.  We are going to make a road trip out of it and stop through Ken's old stomping grounds in Minneapolis, stop and see Mount Rushmore, and maybe try head down to Chicago and catch a Cubs game.  What a fun and unexpected change of plans! 

It never ceases to amaze me what fun roads triathlon has lead me down.  It has taken me to cool places, brought amazing friends into my life, as well as for how it has changed me for the better.  This is another one of those fun and unexpected bonuses. 

I have already gone into my excel spreadsheet of my training for the next several months and made appropriate changes to get me ready for this.  My bike is going to rock, as it will be just 3 weeks after the Triple.  I need to make sure that I keep my running up and swim consistently, and I should be good to go.  Now, don't get me wrong, this is a race with the top 15% of athletes in the nation.  I will get my butt handed to me, but I want to be as prepared as possible. 

In the meantime, Happy Training and Racing all!

No comments:

Post a Comment